Reduce, Reuse & Recycle: Pipette Tip Boxes
April is here, and on the University of Florida campus we all know what that means – Earth Month! In celebration, ICBR would like to share some tips to reduce, reuse and recycle pipette tip boxes in labs across campus.
UF takes sustainability seriously and the ICBR is no exception. One of our biggest concerns is the waste produced by pipette tip boxes. Pipettes are used in many of our core laboratories, and oftentimes pipette tip boxes find their way to the trash can instead of the recycling bin.
The ICBR Green Team hosted an internal contest seeking the most effective way for us to eliminate as much of this plastic as possible. Contest entries included saving the boxes to give away, creating art projects, using the boxes as gardening pots, and the winner suggested that all ICBR pipette tips should be purchased through manufacturers who offer recycling programs or refillable pipette tips that do not require new boxes each time.
With ingenuity and some brainstorming, ICBR staff and the ICBR Green Team have made strides to change our behavior and will strive to decrease the waste cause by pipette tip boxes.
Go Green with Pipette Tip Options
- Corning DeckWorks Pipet Tips
- Low-waste packaging & several pipette tip reload options
- Corning provides shipping labels and postage for return of packaging and racks for recycling
- Contact: Frank Palik
- Fisher Thermo Scientific* ART* Barrier Reload Insert Pipet Tips
- Reload system with multiple tip options
- Sterile tips are certified free from RNase, DNase and pyrogen
- Rainin Green-Pak LTS Tips Refills
- Sterile tip options
- Replace tray/wafer and reuse boxes
- USA Scientific TipOne RPT Refills
- Simply change the tray/wafer, reusing the boxes and reducing waste
- Save over 65% plastic by weight
The ICBR Green Team is committed to changing behaviors within our center and providing examples of real waste reduction, reuse and recycling at UF. Look for more green updates throughout the year.